Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Obligatory First Post

Hi! My name is Lisa G. What's yours? ... Really?... How do you spell that? Wow, okay. I didn't know you could have an "X" following three "Q's" in one word. You, my friend, are certainly unique! In fact, I can't think of anything more wonderful than experiencing something for the first time. Whether good, bad, or indifferent, each new experience we encounter helps us evolve. It is inevitable and you can't fight it. Like science says "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". And we all know, there is no arguing with science. :-)

Each time we encounter something, someone or someplace new an internal reaction takes place. With each new moment we grow or shed layers of our "identity," moving forward in a constant and perpetual act of defining who we are.

Myself (right), friend Luke, and two young girls in Dilla, Ethiopia
Over the years I have learned these moments are not always easy to come by. With each passing year, comfort and stability can take the place of wanderlust and adventure. The harsh realities of life can sometimes wear a person's soul down to nothing. These folks simply stop engaging in new experiences because they are fighting to keep their own world from falling apart. I have experienced this reality, but my obligation to preservation extended only to myself. I would never be so bold as to declare myself an expert in matters of "spiritual" rejuvenation, but if my humble opinion and experience can resonate some level of truth for anyone, then maybe I have done justice to my opportunities.

Winston Churchill taught us "Never give in, never give in, never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." If my existence on this planet has taught me anything, it is that we are forged in fires which burn outside our comfort zone. With each new experience our world grows. We become braver than we thought ourselves capable of. We develop true and lasting convictions based on our own tactile experience. We see beauty in places we overlooked and truth in things we thought previously understood. We must never, never, never stop seeking out opportunities for exploration. These are the things which can revive our souls, even in our darkest times.

The purpose of this blog is to share photographs and stories of my attempt to honor this conviction and live my life in a constant state of exploration. I hope I can bring some joy, humor and interest to those of you who read this. I hope you might be inspired to engage in these entries and share your experiences. Mostly, I hope these reflections inspire you to embark on new adventures and, in doing so, expand the definition of who you are and what you may contribute to this world.

“We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey;” 

- John Hope Franklin








No comments:

Post a Comment